Monday 6 January 2014

January 6: Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work we go ...

It’s half past five, I hear a noise, it interrupts my dream
I’m just about to climb onboard, a truck that sells ice cream
I turn away, pretend to sleep, the noise won’t go away
If I could just get to the chocolate chip, it would all be quite okay

An outstretched arm across the bed will surely do the trick
The noise it stops, but there is another, as the second hand it ticks
It just gets louder, tick by tick; the chocolate’s turned to foam
I open my eyes, it disappears, my fantasy has gone

Outside my window, the sky is dark, the room is barely lit
I sit up straight and sit a while, as reality it hits
My peace is over, it’s back to work, another year begins
Another year of listening, to other people’s sins

I buy a weekly, gone up two bucks, I didn’t count on that
And what do I get in return? A train that’s bloody packed
So many people, it’s half past six, don’t these people have a life?
The air is still, the humidity is thick, you could cut it with a knife

Nothing’s changed since last was here; nothing’s changed at all
It’s like I did this yesterday, my phone rings with a call
Express me in to Central please, four stops and I’ll be there
A brisk walk up to Goulburn street, and back into my chair

I stop into my favourite café, strong coffee and some toast
Into the lift and up to thirty, if I lean I see the coast
I remember that, just last week; I was screaming through the bends
In that zone where euphoria starts, and you hope it never ends

But life is full of ups and downs, money makes it spin
I’m fortunate enough I guess, got work to bring it in
At least I don’t mind too much, doing what I do
If my shirt was blue not crispy white, I couldn't see it through

I open up a brand new brief, another importation
Like selling ice to Eskimos, they’re full of expectation
Stopped at Customs, and in a flash, their life goes down the drain
I read for hours, then put it down, and head back to the train

The last three weeks, where did they go, they melt into my mind
It could have been a year ago, that space is undefined
So much to do, so little time, I’m like a bookies clerk
Half past five, on Monday morn, I’m going back to work

No comments:

Post a Comment