Saturday 18 January 2014

January 18: I am for the Crown ...


I am for the Crown, in my wig and my gown, to a jury I make my address
My opening speech, I’m not here to preach, my case in plain words I express
I tell them about what is reasonable doubt, as I explain what the Crown says occurred
I explain what we’ve got, I tell them the plot, and invite them to see what’s inferred

I appear for the realm, as I stand at the helm, explaining of what did occur
Of the criminal act that is said to be fact, when he imposed his ill will upon her
I call witness one, to whom it was done; she relates her moments of terror
She cries as she speaks, it’s justice she seeks, she recites it all back without error

I act for the people; my case it’s a steeple, from a base rising up to a peak
Witnesses called, we are all appalled, as we hear of his long nasty streak
Her injuries shown, the jury all groan, as the medical evidence is tendered
Bruises and scrapes, all covered in tape, first aid it was quickly rendered

The jury goes out, is there reasonable doubt, will they return with a verdict for him
Or will they find he’s done wrong, our case it was strong, so the rest of his life will be grim
The foreman he stands, a note in his hands, a hint from the judge does seek
“How say you” he asks, "what’s the fruit of your task", and the foreman he begins to speak …

No comments:

Post a Comment